Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Tahiti Vacations

Hi guys,

Francky here. I just come back from 3 weeks in Tahiti. This is the first post of my vacations. Enjoy.

DAY 1
Take off, Maui, Oahu, Papeete.

It’s good for me to speak french again, a lot of Tahitian are in the plane, coming back from oahu. I can feel the peaceful atmosphere already, relax people, laughing all the time, so much fun to be around.

I’m going to Tahiti for 3 weeks, a week in Teahupoo, then 2 weeks in a remote island, in Huahine with my girlfriend.

We arrived in Papeete around 11pm, the temperature is really warm, about 10 degrees Celsius more than Maui... And no wind at all.

My friend Baptiste Gossein was here to pick me up, and we drove about an hour to reach the presqu’ile, where he leaves, at Teahupoo.
I came with a lot of boards, and of course the custom were asking me questions, and i failed on one:
Are you boards new ?.
Yes
Follow me please!

That was it, i had to declare everything, but get lucky enough to say $170 per board (!), i will have to pay 52% tax on that, if i don’t come back with the boards !
Anyway, it’s part of the game, and they try to protect the local economy and local shapers, which is good, in a country where the economy suffers from the tourism, really bad since the US people are not coming any more to tahiti much.
So if you go there, wax your boards and say they are used, it will easier for you to put a low value for each board, in case they check you !

We arrived at Baptiste and opened the bags with the new Shibi models, It was like Xmas day.



I had a good sleep in my bungalow next to the water, in front of Teahupoo, i cannot complain.




Sunday morning we go straight with the jet ski to a spot i don’t remember the name, for a SUP session.








Nobody in the water, strong current and perfect 3 feet waves, paradise. The reef is here and you need to be aware of it, but it makes the view beautiful when riding the waves.
The pretty strong current makes me a little scared, but after a little while, i felt confident and went for it...



2 hours perfect, little nap and we went back on the water, same place, and one more time, alone with Baptiste. We took only one SUP and were sharing it, while one of us was staying on the jet ski.




My back was really bad, i didn’t know yet but after a MRI at the Papeete Hospital, i have a bad disc hernia, and may need surgery. Still paradise, but the timing is wrong.

For the shooting, we were using the Go pro camera, and the 9.3 x 27.5 x 3.75 SUP Kazuma board, round nose. The board was really easy to use in this conditions, easy take off, fast and stable.

No comments:

Post a Comment