Friday, April 17, 2009

My beautiful new 6'0" "Shibi"

This is my beautiful, new, 6'0" x 20" x 2.375" Shibi. This will be my board for 1 to 4 foot waves. I am 174 lbs. and normally ride a 6'1.5" x 18.5" x 2.31" Milkman model. I don't ride my fish as small as most people do because I really want it to be a wave catching machine. The performance is equivalent to my normal shortboard minus some response and snap but every bit as good.

I have tested the smaller fish boards but the slight performance gains you get are not worth the loss of paddling power. Catch waves = have fun. The volume of the Shibi allows me to get into the wave easier which sets up the wave for less mistakes. (read the coaching blog to understand why)

I will set this up as a quad as there doesn't seem to be any benefit to riding it as thruster. Yes I know, I have always been anti-quad but it really does ride like a thruster but much faster and tighter turning. Jumping back and forth between my Milkman and the Shibi is easy. It took me about 50 versions to get it right but now that it is dialed, I will endorse the quad.

No comments:

Post a Comment